Monday, April 12, 2010

Bringing my lupines back to life

I have never had a green thumb. I honestly think plants hate me! But recently, I've started planting some flowers in my border because I don't intend for my house to look like it's built in the middle of a big sandbox indefinitely. I am aiming for an English cottage garden look for my garden in the future and I am very sloooowwwly trying to start. I planted some bulbs: snowdrops, whose flowers have faded, hyacinths (in full bloom) and some lupines. However, just 3 days or so after planting my 3 lupines, the pink one's stalk fell over and looked like a knocked out boxer! It was practically laying dead on the ground! I frantically did some research (stupid me for not doing it BEFOREHAND!) and I'm still not sure, but I think it might be because I didn't loosen up the roots when I transferred the young plant from the flower pot it came in with. So I dug it up (another thing about lupines: they don't like being transplanted!), loosened up the roots, and re-planted it. I also added some huge dosage of fertilizer. Just this morning (after a night of rain), my pink stalk actually revived and was trying to stand up tall like a boxer on steroids. Whew!

I am discovering that gardening is hard work (duh!). But like most everything you work hard to achieve, it can be extremely rewarding and satisfying.

My wish list:

No comments:

Post a Comment